As a filmmaker, Volkan makes sure that his films are more than just an exotic story. Besides informing and creating empathy for his protagonists, Volkan also strives, in a subtle way, to confront the audience with themselves.
His first full-length documentary ‘Displaced’ had its world premiere at DOK Leipzig 2017. ‘Displaced’ shows the identity crisis of third-generation Turks growing up in Belgium and the Netherlands. At the same time the film tells a lot about current Turkish and Western European society.
Volkan’s last documentary ALL-IN had a very successful festival run which started here at the WEMW. Later on it was selected at Copenhagen Docs, Hotdocs, Tallinn, Fipadoc and European Film award. Volkan is also selected for this year’s Berlinale Talents.
Menuetto is a Belgian independent film & tv production company, specializing in author driven fiction and documentary with mainstream potential.
• Le Paradis (feature film, dir. Zeno Graton, copro BE/FR – coproducer) – Berlinale 2023, Generation 14plus
• The Fruit Tree (short film, dir. Isabelle Tollenaere – producer) – Venice Film Festival 2022, Orizzonti
• The Eight Mountains (feature film, dir. Felix van Groeningen & Charlotte Vandermeersch, copro IT/BE/FR – coproducer) – Festival de Cannes 2022, Official Competition, winner of the Jury Prize
• La Civil (feature film, dir. Teodora Ana Mihai, copro BE/RO/MEX, 2021 – producer) – Festival de Cannes 2021, Un Certain Regard, winner of the Audacity Prize
• BREXIT Behind Closed Doors (documentary 120 min, dir. Lode Desmet, copro BE/UK, 2019 –producer)
• GIRL (feature film, dir. Lukas Dhont, copro BE/NL, 2018 – associate producer) –Festival de Cannes 2018, Caméra d’Or